Sunday, July 7, 2024

A Principal Referee, A Principal Connector, & A Principal Fingerprint

George Couros and Allyson Apsey What Makes A Great PRINCIPAL The Five Pillars of Effective School Leadership 


Lately, I have noticed that when I attend school leadership conferences, what sticks to my thinking the most are the stories shared by the featured speakers. Their narratives often make you nod readily in agreement, laugh with total understanding, and catch your breath when you know there is an underlying message you need to hear.


When I read George Couros and Allyson Apsey’s new book, What Makes a Great Principal: The Five Pillars of Effective School Leadership—Stories from the Field, I had a similar experience. The impact an effective and compassionate school principal can have on students and staff is immense. The key is wisely focusing on what we choose to do and how we move forward to make a difference to our students, staff, and community. 


Couros connected his story to basketball and the responsibilities of a school principal. “In any sport, you know a referee is great when you don’t notice them. They not only lead but also manage the game, and everything goes in a direction where the focus is on the game, not the official. It doesn't mean there isn’t adversity, but the best officials know how to deal with it in a way where the focus should be: on the players and the game. 


Unfortunately, if you are a bad referee, everyone notices—like everyone. The same is true for principals. The worst ones stick out, and the best ones never get credit for the impact they have on the little and big things in our school. They often take criticism from others and hand out the praise when they might be the most deserving.”


I am not sure I will ever watch a basketball game again without paying attention to the referee. I see the wisdom and the humbleness of being that kind of school principal…taking the heat, and giving away the glory. Stories stick with us because they pull out the emotions and tug at the cognitive brain. Here are a few of my favorite stories from pillars of What Makes a Great Principal.

Dr. Marcus Belin reminded the reader of the power of building relationships with those we serve. Belin traded traditional dress shoes for something much more comfortable. “Those Jordan sneakers I sported on countless days became instant conversation starters, bridging the gap and revealing my sincere interest in the students' success…I wanted my staff to understand it’s okay to enjoy their work to see education as a joyful journey, not a joyless task.” I was reminded we have an opportunity to model joy in our work as principals. 

Apsey reminded me of the importance of reaching out to like colleagues for support and the opportunity to learn from them. “I am going to age myself here, but I became a principal before Facebook and Twitter even existed. It was more challenging back in those pre-social media times to get connected to inspiring principals around the country. In those first years of the principalship, I distinctly remember being faced with challenges and then heading to my office to rack my brain for ideas. I was so mad at myself when I could not come up with brilliant solutions on my own.”  We do not have to be an isolated principal. We can create more significant positive momentum toward growth and change as principals if we do it together.

I finally got to meet the principal, Liz Garden in Washington, D.C. this spring. She was incredibly genuine and kind. The message found in her story did not disappoint. Early in her career, when being interviewed for a vice principal position, she was given a tricky question on how she would manage three different reading programs. She gave an unapologetic response. “I am not able to make that model work.” Her response was honest, brave, and focused on how to move forward differently. Her story reminded me we can draw courage to find our truths from other principals leading the way.


Being a principal is not a game, but I sometimes feel like a referee, and now I know what type of ‘principal referee’ I will strive to be. I don’t wear sneakers, but my heels will produce a familiar step as I head toward classrooms more often. I will bravely respond if I am ever asked to prioritize programs over people. And when I do finally leave the school community I love, the fingerprints won’t be visible to the eye, but found in the heart of instructional practices of teachers I had the honor of knowing and serving.



me


No comments:

Post a Comment