Friday, March 25, 2022

Educational Leadership for Women

Dr. Rachael George & Majalise W. Tolan SHE LEADS The Women’s Guide to a

Career in EDUCATIONAL LEADERSHIP

I am in my eleventh year as an elementary school principal. I absolutely love leading a school community. The position fulfills me, drives me, and inspires me to support others to find their passion in education. Although what I didn’t expect was how complex the journey as a school leader continues to be.

What genuinely delighted me when reading Dr. Rachael George and Majalise W. Tolan’s book She Leads, The Women’s Guide to a Career in Educational Leadership was the multiple vignettes of women in leadership. These collections of experiences told in each woman's unique style are the page-turning elements of She Leads. The book includes excerpts from women leaders sharing honestly, and with such grace, their experiences and reflections on what they have learned in their mosaic role as a woman in education who leads. 

As I read, I posted on Twitter the author's and contributors' own words that moved me to continue to lead as a confident woman in education by utilizing my strengths, fine-tuning developing skills, and considering alternative approaches. I am known for my excess highlighting, notes in the margin, and book tabs, and it was difficult not to continue to tweet each ah-ha moment for me. Here are a few of the very favorites that still make me smile and tear up a bit simultaneously. 



#TimeToLead

“Welcome to Educational Leadership. There is a seat at the table for you—go ahead and take it.”

Dr. A. K. Perera


#Embracing Emotions 

“At that moment, I was not being emotional. I was 

being an emotional leader.” 

Liz Garden


#LiftOtherWomen

“Once in a leadership role, it is imperative we work to support and lift up other women.”

Dr. Rachael George & Majalise W. Tolan



#RethinkPerfect

“Let’s make our greatest champion the one living 

inside us.” 

Allyson Apsey


#ApplyAnyway

“Just think: had I let my fears take over, I wouldn’t have applied 

or been given the opportunity to grow.”

Sandi Battles


#BeTrueToYourself

“To replicate or not to replicate, that is the question.”

Dr. Rachael George


#WomenLeaders

“The shared experiences and connections with others are a

driving force in improving ourselves and our schools.”

Dr. Rachael George & Majalise W. Tolan


I have a colleague who is starting her leadership journey. I’ve purchased this book for her, and I can’t wait for the after-school talk sessions, random texts, and phone calls I know I’ll receive as she reads and devours George and Tolan’s book, She Leads. We should not lead in isolation but shoulder to shoulder and with cheers of encouragement and applauds of congratulations. We, as women in leadership, are better together.


No comments:

Post a Comment